Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Good Fight: Hard Lessons from Searchlight to Washington



Unfortunately, this is probably the only book I will be completing for the next few months, however, I am very grateful I had the opportunity to read it and that it began the year for me.  Thank you Mom & Dad for the gift!  

Mom and Will have each read extensively from it and so they may be able to fine-tune what I write.  

This book has inspired in me a change of opinion about the job done by Harry Reid.  I appreciate that he wrote down his experiences.  I've become convinced that he is a man with good principles who might do a great job in the Senate.  I still think he is wrong on some positions.  However, I am inclined to believe that he can do much good in the Senate.  This seems justified to me in that principles matter and Nevada matters to me.

The top five most revealing facts about Harry Reid--
1. Harry Reid opposes abortion and even drafted/proposed a Nevada abortion law limiting abortions on the state level prior to Roe v Wade.
2. Harry Reid is pro-guns.
3. Harry Reid grew up extremely poor and perhaps more poor than any single person I have personally ever met or known (his hometown had no doctors, no churches, and only one school room).
4. Harry Reid loved President George H. W. Bush but appears to hate President George W. Bush.
5. Harry Reid can't ever remember having gambled although he became the Chairman of the Nevada Gaming Commission after becoming the youngest Lieutenant Governor in Nevada's history and the first locally raised lawyer to be of counsel to the City of Henderson.

Reid also included a letter he wrote detailing his testimony of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Plan of Salvation to his granddaughter in response to her request for it so that she could accomplish her Personal Progress Award for the Young Women's Program.

I also enjoyed reading Reid's detailed stories about early Las Vegas and mobsters, Howard Hughes, Oscar Goodman, Steve Wynn, and other notables.  There is a familiarity about his writing voice and it sounds rebellious but Vegasy.     

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i realized i missed more of this book than i thought! please bring it home so i can finish my read of it. it sounds super interesting when you break it down. thanks hon!

Paul said...

I was applying for a political fellowship position in DC about a year ago, and was trying to secure a position in Senator Reid's office as a healthcare advisor. He called me personally to say "Sure!" and recounted some very kind and loving memories he had of Papa. The fellowship didn't happen (not because of him, but for other reasons) but he was so kind on the phone to me that I can't help but like the guy.