Friday, March 15, 2013

The Chosen



For 2013, Julia asked me to read this book.  This book is a very cleverly written page-turner.  The story centers on a friendship between two bright Jewish boys from different Jewish sects and their fathers (both Rabbis).  Perhaps more importantly, the book focuses on raising children and the weight of tradition and loyalty.  I think this is an important book because it is so well written.

On a personal note, this book struck a chord with me owing to my own close friendship with a best friend who is both brilliant and a member (of my extended-family and of my faith).  It was unusual for me to feel compassion for these boys because the writing was that good-that realistic and it did something I like--it transported me back to good memories.  Additionally, anyone who reads it will likely be impressed with the characters' excellent ambitions.  I believe this is a very American novel.

I definitely recommend this book.


No comments: